Monday, November 2, 2009

Mexico

Okay, so the cruise was a ton of fun! Yes, I did get some motion sickness, but nothing too bad. I was still able to eat plenty & enjoy my time aboard ship. Mom & I went on the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Royal Carribean Radiance of the Seas. We boarded ship Wednesday (14th) in the afternoon. I was amazed at how quickly people started drinking...we hadn't even left the dock! We headed to the buffet to eat lunch...I was starving! The food was good overall. It was nice to have a variety. I think I did pretty good considering the amount of food available (I still fit into all my clothes).



Our first stop was Ensenada, Mexico. My first thought as we were riding through town was, "this looks just like Palmdale!" I guess since the city is only about 2 hours from San Diego, I shouldn't have been too surprised that it looked a lot like places I've been in California. There was a Costco, Home Depot & a few dollar stores. Our tour guide was sure to point out all the gas stations....only 1 brand, Pemex, which is owned by the government. Apparently the government buys up any land that produces oil. We rode on a bus for about an hour to "La Bufadora" which is a blow hole. Yes, very exciting, but it was a pretty area there on the coast. We had to walk through the gauntlet of shops before seeing this natural phenomenom (which I love....ok not really). Mom had more fun shopping, I think. I'm just not a fan of the pressure type selling they do. I like to browse without someone constantly trying to sell me something. I loved how they would say to come buy something I don't need...hahaha.





Our second day was at sea. It was nice to be able to sleep in which was not difficult since our stateroom did not have a window. We had to use Mom's cell phone as an alarm clock because we might have slept all day otherwise. We spent some time at the gym, outside enjoying the sun and of course eating! It was a nice relaxing day. We also went to the after dinner show which was great. We missed the first night's show which we were told was horrible, so we didn't mind.

The next day we were in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I had the tendering experience since we couldn't pull right up to the dock. We picked sea kayaking which was fun. Mom & I were in the same kayak. We paddled pretty far in some pretty choppy water. It was interesting being so close to the water in what seemed like the boat route. We had water taxis & other tourist boats driving past us & they seemed pretty close to me. Apparently there was an unusually large number of jellyfish in the water. I hadn't noticed any, but felt some stinging on my leg for a short time....not sure what it was though. Mom had one splash up on her leg leaving a nice red welt on her thigh. We got to rest on the beach for a little bit while some crazy people went snorkling. I would have been happy to go if there weren't jellyfish everywhere & a lot of boat traffic. When we were done, we decided to walk through town (sorry Mom...it was my idea). We were surprised at the upscale stores & restaurants. It was SO hot as we were walking around. I was sweating like crazy & poor Mom looked so red & tired. There were a few street vendors I would have liked to stop for, but I was so dang hot, hungry & thirsty, I just wanted to get back to the ship. Several times I was asked if I wanted a Mexican boyfriend after saying no thank you to offers of cheap silver jewelry. I had to laugh as I said to Mom..."I can get one of those where I live". I mean HELLO...there is definitely not a shortage in the USA! We were thrilled to get back to where the tender was & found some ice water waiting for us.....AHHHH refreshing! We got back to the ship & ate & I was back out in the sun for a little bit. I ended up getting my shoulders nice & toasty even with 2 coats of 30 sunblock. I am still peeling!
(the blue line on the sand are jellyfish)


The next day we were at sea again. We had a personal training session and enjoyed some reading time. The day had quickly turned overcast & cool, especially with the wind from the speed of the ship. We watched a towel folding demonstration. It is so fun to see what the stateroom attendants can do with some towels. Later we watched some of the bartenders doing some juggling & mixing of drinks...pretty cool. Later that evening we watched the finals of the karaoke competition. There were some great singers. It was a lot of fun. Our dinner table group was pretty interesting. There was a mother with her 2 daughters & a dad with his 14 year old son. The 2 guys were only there 2 of the nights. The mother & her daughters were LDS! What are the odds?



We needed to be up fairly early to get off the ship the next morning. I was ready to be back, but will definitely be ready for my next cruise! The plan had been to spend a little time in San Diego then for me to drop Mom off in Palmdale (I would stay the night) so she could spend a few days with the CA Bird flock & then fly back to CO. Unfortunately, my cousin's husband had passed away the Wednesday we left and the funeral was Tuesday. So, we got in the car & headed back to St. George.

It was a great vacation & I am so lucky that I have such wonderful parents! This was my birthday present & Dad was wonderful enough to let Mom & I go off on our own. Thank you SO MUCH!!! Love you!!!!

1 comment:

Monica Hudson said...

You and your mom are hilarious! I love that last picture! Looks like you guys had a great time (with the exception of the funeral, that's so terrible). What a fun trip - miss you tons!! xoxo