Friday afternoon Derek wanted to know what I was doing Saturday. Now this was a little odd as he now has his kids the weekends I don't work. He proceeded to say that maybe all of us could do something if I was up to it. Up to it? Meeting his kids? SCARY!!!! Honestly I was more nervous about meeting his daughter (14) than his son (12). Look, I was a teenage girl once...I didn't understand them then & don't think I am any better at it now. I guess I figure 12 year old boys are a little easier.
Whenever someone would ask me if I've met his kids, I'd happily say...."No, I'm waiting for him to be ready for me to meet them". Well, I guess I thought it would take a bit longer. My grandma said, "it's about time". I'm not so sure I agreed with her, but I AM HAPPY to meet his kids when he wants me to. I don't think I would ever be less freaked out, so I might as well suck up the fear & press forward, right?!
I have to say that my fears were put to rest when he told me that his daughter had opted to hang out with a friend, so I would just be hanging out with him & his son. THAT was definitely doable.(sp?) We went out to eat & then played laser tag. It was pretty fun & I didn't make a complete fool out of myself. On our team, Dylen got 1st, Derek got 2nd & I followed along in 4th. Not too bad for a girl, right?
So, there you have it....I met one of Derek's kids. Could have met his daughter yesterday, but I had already told my friend I'd come over for a little Super Bowl party....GO STEELERS!!!! Have to say that was a good game! We'll have to see what the future weekends hold.
side note: thanks Mom for your encouragement. it really helped! i really tried to be myself & have fun.
3 comments:
Way to go Shelly!!
We are proud of you!!
Your blog looks really cute! Wowie, that IS scary but it sounds like you were your normal, fun self! Man, it's hard enough when you have to impress a guy, then throw kids into the mix?!?!? SCARY!!! You're awesome!
Yeah! Way to hang in there - I could only imagine the pressure to be "all that". The rest of us already know that you ARE all that AND a bag of chips, but sometimes we don't have that confidence in ourselves, especially when there's something special on the line. If it's right, it's right, and all will fall into place. I'm proud of you - that was a major step and not an easy one. Sounds like it was fun, though! Kep the news coming - I'm living vicariously through you! ;-P xoxo
Post a Comment