Okay, so I have to make a fool of myself and share this story with all who love and will not judge me for who I am. At times I think, "Shelly, you are an adult and should be able to do this". Well, as most of you know I can at times be quite shy, but at others can be quite the opposite. I'm usually more outgoing around those of you I know will love me anyway. So where is this embarrassing story you ask.....I'm stalling, can't you tell? You know me...this will probably be a long story....get comfy!
I was at work a month or more ago and while I was waiting to see a patient, I sat down & chatted with some nurses. Stephanie is married to Nate and they are both nurses, though on different floors. Jennifer is Nate's mom & is also a nurse on the same floor as Nate. Jennifer happened to be working on the same floor as Stephanie this day. I don't know how the conversation turned to how I was single, but it did. Both Stephanie & Jennifer lit right up and started discussing how I needed to meet one of Nate's good friends, Mark. They continued to tell me how great he was, but Nate would have to set us up as Stephanie didn't feel confident in her match making skills.
The next day Stephanie told me that Jennifer had talked to Nate before she got the chance & explained how he needed to set me up with Mark. I just laughed as they as seemed way more excited about it than me, but I'm a good sport, right? and an adult? Within the next day or two I came across Nate who then asked for my phone number to give to Mark. They had told me he was pretty shy at first, but then really fun when he gets to know you. I denied the opportunity to be the one to call first. Shouldn't it be the guy who makes the first call? I think so too!
So, for the next several weeks I would get asked by Nate or Stephanie if Mark had called. My response was always "no". I did get to hear some stories about Mark that were quite funny. He really does sound like fun. A co-worker of mine, Karalynn, has taken upon herself to gang up against me with Nate. So here comes the most recent part of this drawn out story. I finally got Mark's #. I told Nate that I would give him a few days to redeem himself, now that Mark knew I had his #. Before my cutoff date (which was this Wed.) Nate decided that he needed to help us further. I was waiting to help Karalynn with a patient when Nate called Mark, talked to him for a minute or two then said he was handing the phone to me. That's all I needed, was to have a nice audience. Well, Karalynn & Nate left because I had said I didn't want an audience. I hate talking on the phone, I find it hard to know what to say to keep a conversation going, especially if the other person has the same problem. As I was talking to Mark about 5 people walked into the immediate vicinity. I quickly ended the conversation as I was at work & now all these people were hanging around. It felt super awkward.
I had told Mark to call me anytime. Isn't that a good opening for him to call me? I thought it was. I didn't expect a phone call the next day (he was home sick and all). As of this post, there has been no follow up call. You may be laughing and saying to your computer "Shelly, you should call him and ask how he is feeling." And your computer says back to you, "don't you think she's thought of that?" So here it comes....I really don't think I'm an adult after all. Set one more place at the kiddie table for Thanksgiving.
2 comments:
All I have to say is that I am rolling on the floor laughing! You have to be one of the funniest people I know! Don't worry hun, there will always be a plate at the kiddie table for you here!!;-) Can I just say that I can't wait to hear more of this saga (no matter what the outcome!)...please promise you'll write a sequel! Love you!
Michelle thinks you are funny. The kid tables are more fun anyway. Good luck with Nate or is it Mark or is it Stephanie??? Ooops.. sorry I got confused. Anyhow, good luck!
Post a Comment